Loughborough Students RFC

26 - 31

HT 23-10

Sat 16 Sep 2017, 15:00

Caldy RFC
It was a tough welcome back to university for Loughborough Students as Caldy overturned a 23 point deficit to win 31-26 in what was a remarkable second half comeback.

The game was a story of two halves with Loughborough running away with the first, and Caldy dominating the second to ultimately shock the home crowd and spoil the start of fresher’s week.

The game did not get off to the ideal start with Ted Stagg, the consistent line-out specialist and hooker, injuring his shoulder and being forced to come off the pitch. A sustained period of frustration followed where two tries and countless penalties were conceded, albeit some of them controversial.

Caldy finished the half the stronger of the two as they got back on track through a superb finish from ex-Loughborough Student player Mark Dickson. The fullback looked dangerous whenever he received the ball and certainly showed Loughborough what they are missing.
A penalty from Ben Jones left the score at 23-10 at halftime.

After the break, Caldy were flying, and it was Pilgrim’s passing from the base of the breakdown which piled the pressure on the students. The front row of Salisbury, Parker and Whittaker caused their opponents significant problems in the scrum with the latter playing out of position and performing heroically. The students simply could not handle the physicality.

A sinbin for Martin Gerrard gave Loughborough the advantage yet this did not halt the Caldy fightback. Number 8, JJ Dickinson, showed his football skills when he grubber kicked the ball perfectly to put himself under the sticks and make the travelling supporters dream.
Loughborough were in unknown territory and Caldy had their eye on a momentous upset.

On comes Stu Cross whose animalistic approach gave the team the firepower needed to continue the comeback. Gav Roberts then put Caldy within two points of Loughborough after another fine pass from Chris Pilgrim.

The determination to cause the upset of the National one season so far was reflected in the manner of the defensive intelligence shown by the players. The pressure the Loughborough backs were being put under began to force errors and their heads dropped.
Ben Jones finished off a perfectly executed backs move to complete what was a tremendous and the most unlikely of comebacks.

Caldy finished the game with fourteen men yet Loughborough still could not find a way through the much improved defence.
An historic day for Caldy Rugby Club as they continued to announce themselves to the rest of the National one league. Next week Caldy welcome Cambridge to Paton Field as they look to continue their impressive form in front of the home support.